ACOTRO was established in 1989 and incorporated in 2011. The following represents our vision, mission and values.
ACOTRO is recognized nationally and internationally as an essential leader of the profession of occupational therapy from a regulatory perspective.
The Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations is the collective of all provincial occupational therapy regulators who have the responsibility to protect the public. ACOTRO advances quality occupational therapy regulation in Canada.
ACOTRO embraces the following values:
- Mutual respect: We recognize all members as equal partners and we welcome and honour diverse opinions, perspective and contributions.
- Mentoring and support: We believe that sharing ideas and expertise, reciprocal consultation, and new leader orientation facilitates leadership development and capacity building.
- Trust: We respect confidences and confidentiality. Decisions are made by consensus and members speak with one voice publicly.
- Excellence: We use best practices and evidence-based decision-making to support effective leadership and continuous improvement.
- Collaboration: We access collective wisdom by working in partnership with each other and with stakeholders. We create positive relationships and accepting environments that facilitate communication and goal achievement.
- Commitment: We dedicate time and energy to fulfill the goals and objectives of ACOTRO. When members cannot fulfill promises, we communicate this and support each other.
- Accountability: We are responsible to each other, to the boards and members of our organizations, and to the public for setting and achieving realistic goals and activities, and for functioning in a transparent manner.